Wednesday, February 15, 2012

The Signature on the Windshield




So there I was on my usual 7am drive to work this morning. Sipping a latte from my 62 oz. commuter tumbler while listening to DJs Sarah and Vinnie talk their usual celebrity trash on Alice Radio.

I had slowed to about 40mph since I was approaching the toll plaza of the San Mateo Bridge when all of a sudden, WHOOOOSH! I heard a loud scraping sound that reverberated through the air and made my skin crawl. What the heck?

And then I saw it, just yards behind me, filling up the space in my rear view mirror.

A big-rig truck had jack-knifed in the lane where my car had passed just seconds earlier. Had I been driving a hair slower, the truck's front cab, which had veered left into my lane, would have slammed into my little Honda CRV rendering it flat as a plate glass window.

O
hGawdOhGawdOhGawd. The enormity of what I had narrowly escaped left me shaky and breathless. However, what happened next just about paled in comparison.

As I continued driving, trying to regain my composure, I noticed droplets of water suddenly appearing on my windshield. Except there wasn't a cloud in the sky. Nor was it misty or foggy. And I realized that these drops were specifically located straight ahead in my line of vision right below my steering wheel. The rest of the windshield was bone dry. Confused, I looked up to the sky, and then to my left and right, trying to figure out where these drops were coming from.

One by one, I watched the drops continue to appear, plunk, plunk, plunk, until they formed the outline of a very specific shape.

A heart.

I stared at it, not quite believing what I was seeing, but there was no denying it was most definitely a heart. And it stayed there for maybe 30 or 40 seconds, defying the velocity of the wind until it eventually dried off, one drop at a time.

Someone was watching out for me this morning, and the signature on the windshield? A nice touch, just in case I had any doubts. Trust me, I don't.

Not any more.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Eileen, this is such an uplifing, heart-warming, wonderful story; we are not alone; just like the song "angels watching over me" by Amy Grant. I am forwarding it to everyone I know.

Jessie Bachelder said...

Eileen, you were DEFINITELY lucky! And what a sweet, heartwarming story! It truly makes you thankful for the little things, doesn’t it? How peculiar that the drops would appear only on your side of the windshield and make that formation! Definitely makes one think. Glad to hear you’re okay! That was a close call!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...