Tuesday, December 4, 2012

A Classic "Deer" to My Heart

There are columns to write and blogs to post and bills to pay, plus books to read for my two book clubs, ingredients to purchase for two different potluck dinners, not to mention the floor could use a good sweeping, thanks to Olivia's recent massive shedding, and I wouldn't need to buy new socks if I'd just take a minute to simply sew those teeny holes in the heels.

And oh yes, I still have holiday cards to address and presents to buy and decorations to hang, and I'm about to burst a blood vessel because good lord, Christmas is in less than three weeks and I've done nothing yet. Nothing!

So why did I--a fifty-something adult-- spend a precious evening watching "Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer?"

Because growing up in the 60s, this Christmas classic was the TV highlight of the holiday season for me and my younger sister, Jenny. From the comfort of our bunk beds, we'd watch it on a tiny black and white TV our dad bought us. I remember how deliciously petrified we were of the scary-looking Bumble, and how frightened we were for Rudolph, Hermy and Yukon Cornelius when they drifted off in the dark on a chunk of ice to get away from the growling Bumble.

And 46-years later, I still get teary-eyed when a humbled Santa asks, "Rudolph with your nose so bright, won't you guide my sleigh tonight?"  Or when the hopeless toys on the Island of Misfit Toys hear the jingle-jangle of Santa's sleigh and leap with joy when they realize he's finally coming for them.

When I phoned Jenny tonight to tell her that Rudolph was on, my brother-in-law answered the phone. "Oh yeah," he replied. "We've already watching it." 

That's why everything else can wait. This was indeed an evening well-spent.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...